Active MQ support

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:03 AM

Hi

Do you plan to support ActiveMQ and it's pub/sub model ...

thanks...

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I don't have specific plans to implement ActiveMQ support myself in the forseeable future, but would gladly accept any contribution that provided such support.

Developer
Sep 1, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I'm working on an implementation but I'm too busy to complete the unit tests in order to ship it! As soon as it's done, I'll be very happy to contribute to the project by giving it.

I can give my code to paresh in the mean time if he wants to give it a try...

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Hello, I was curious about the ActiveMQ implementation also. Is there a chance I can get a copy of the code also?

Thank you in advance.

Developer
Sep 28, 2009 at 4:39 AM
Hi,
I'll send you my code tomorrow (monday) when I'll be at work...
Bye,
Morgan

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 1:43 PM, dawebber <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello, I was curious about the ActiveMQ implementation also. Is there a chance I can get a copy of the code also?

Thank you in advance.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SimpleServiceBus@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SimpleServiceBus@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Oct 2, 2009 at 2:03 AM
Hi again!

Sorry for the delay but I took some time to build 2 demo projects that demonstrate the features I have implemented for ActiveMQ.
You can grab my code base from this Zip archive that contains SSB and my extensions:
The demos are in the folder ActiveMQSamples. 
There is a SampleProducer and a SampleConsumer which should be running simultaneously.
Check the code in Form1.cs, in both projects, to see how you can configure the endpoint.

Tell me if you need more explanations...

Morgan
Oct 3, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Hello!

Thank you for the samples. I'm still going through them--I'm new to the SSB, so it takes me a bit to get it all untangled and put together in my head :) I might ask you if I have any more questions.

Regards,

Mark.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:09 AM

Livetocode, I just wanted to thank you again for your ActiveMQ code. The app has been in production since November 09 and has been doing good. I did have a couple of changes I wanted to share, if they are of interest, as well as couple of questions I had. I'll PM you on those.

Regards,

Mark.

May 25, 2010 at 9:57 AM
Will you include this code in the official release?
Coordinator
May 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM

livetocode: I know this was a long time ago, but do you happen to know what SVN version you built your ActiveMQ support against? I'm trying to merge this into the trunk, but there are a lot of differences.

Developer
Jul 2, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Any update on this? I'm very interested in piloting SSB as long as I can adapt it to ActiveMQ. Sounds like someone has already done this?

Coordinator
Jul 2, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Unfortunately I never got a response to the question above, so I haven't been able to merge the changes into trunk. If you want you can give it a try! :) The issue was that the patch was applied to an earlier version of SSB, but I'm not such which one. I tried a few in the timeframe around the upload of the patch, but it didn't take cleanly. And since I don't have ActiveMQ experience I didn't want to apply it without testing.

Developer
Jul 2, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry that I didn't answer sooner but I'm still ready to ship my implementation of the ActiveMQ transport. It works in our production environment and a codeplex user already used it in a big system successfully, which helped us find a memory issue.

HakanL, can you contact me by email in order to collaborate on this issue?

Thanks,

Morgan

Coordinator
Jul 2, 2010 at 11:22 PM

I'm happy to report that we're getting close to get the ActiveMQ support into the SSB trunk very soon! livetocode has graciously accepted to apply his implementation to the trunk, looking forward to it!

Developer
Jul 7, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Thanks for the commit, Morgan. I've downloaded the latest source and ran your demos against an ActiveMQ instance. Worked perfectly the first time. For various reasons, simplicity being one of them, we've decided to integrate SSB into the Reactor Services Platform. We've ran demos of both NServiceBus and MassTransit, but both required additional processes and APIs we felt were not a right fit for Reactor.

So....thanks to all the contributors. I hope to see this project stay afloat with regular activity because there IS a need for a simple service bus that doesnt require a ton of setup and dependencies.

-T

Developer
Jul 7, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Hi akilhoffer,

Thanks for your nice comments!

Wish you good luck for your project.

I looked at MassTransit in the past and ignored it as you did because it was too complex and also because it spawned way too many threads for my taste!

Also, there was no existing ActiveMQ transport in any service bus project that would allow the use of the powerful features of ActiveMQ and that would allow an optimal configuration of the worker threads for the consumers, using a single connection.

Regards,

Morgan 

Developer
Jul 7, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Morgan,

Hello again. Didnt take me long to come up with more questions regarding ActiveMQ integration. :-) 

In your sample application, I see you define message destinations while creating the ActiveMQConfigurator and initializing the bus. My situation is a bit more complicated in that after the base service starts, additional modules may or may not be loaded that in turn need to subscribe and send messages we didn't know about when initializing the endpoint. Does that mean we need to setup new endpoints for each module, or can we change endpoint configuration on the fly? The same question holds true for registering message handlers, although I think that can be done on the fly without requiring additional endpoints or reconstruction of existing endpoints.

Any input?

As always, thanks in advance...

-Tony