Replacement for NServiceBus?

Jun 26, 2008 at 10:11 AM
Hi,

From what I've seen it looks I could like it better than it's ancestor. The IMessage marker interface won't be missed, the pipeline is very nice and the monitoring stuff is very welcome.

Is it currently as usable as NServiceBus (ie. can I replace it), and what are your plans for future development and community?

Cheers,
Roelof
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2008 at 3:58 PM
Roelof, I'm glad you like the changes. I would say you should not replace NSB with SSB in a running production environment at this particular point in time. As you have already discovered (thanks for the patch, BTW) there are still some kinks to work out. We haven't put it into production in our own shop yet, but will be doing so in the near future. Also, Saga and Distributor support haven't been ported yet, although those things (especially Sagas, with a few modifications) are on the short term roadmap.

As for future development and community plans, that depends on interest. The project will definitely continue to move forward as long as I find myself working with systems that use messaging, and putting a finger in the wind sure feels like that will be for the forseeable future. However, if people start using it, I'm prepared to take it to the next level at any time and set up a space for community, accept other developers, whatever makes sense.

roelofb wrote:
Hi,

From what I've seen it looks I could like it better than it's ancestor. The IMessage marker interface won't be missed, the pipeline is very nice and the monitoring stuff is very welcome.

Is it currently as usable as NServiceBus (ie. can I replace it), and what are your plans for future development and community?

Cheers,
Roelof

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Hello,

Nice work here. I like the direction that you're taking.

Any idea on the future progress of this project? How far away from a v1.0 are you at this point?

Thanks. 

- Nathan Allen-Wagner

PlasticLIzard wrote:
Roelof, I'm glad you like the changes. I would say you should not replace NSB with SSB in a running production environment at this particular point in time. As you have already discovered (thanks for the patch, BTW) there are still some kinks to work out. We haven't put it into production in our own shop yet, but will be doing so in the near future. Also, Saga and Distributor support haven't been ported yet, although those things (especially Sagas, with a few modifications) are on the short term roadmap.

As for future development and community plans, that depends on interest. The project will definitely continue to move forward as long as I find myself working with systems that use messaging, and putting a finger in the wind sure feels like that will be for the forseeable future. However, if people start using it, I'm prepared to take it to the next level at any time and set up a space for community, accept other developers, whatever makes sense.

roelofb wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,
Roelof

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2008 at 3:18 AM
Edited Jul 8, 2008 at 3:19 AM
Unfortunately I don't really have a solid timeline. 1.0 will come soon after we put this thing into production and have a chance to test it real life. That is a month or more away. In the mean time, unless you are interested in learning along with us, I recommend choosing NSB, which is extensively proven in production, for mission critical projects. And if you like the way something looks here, you could always bend Udi's ear :) I'd very much love to see his framework become more extensible at the expense of interest in our work, but in the mean time we will continue to experiment with this arrangement and see what comes of it. Hope that answers your question :)

nathanaw wrote:

Hello,

Nice work here. I like the direction that you're taking.

Any idea on the future progress of this project? How far away from a v1.0 are you at this point?

Thanks. 

- Nathan Allen-Wagner

PlasticLIzard wrote:

roelofb wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,
Roelof

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:40 AM
Hi, I've found your onother project, NSBManagement, which seems to be dead, as you are writing this fork of NServiceBus.
I've posted some question on that project. Could you please look at that?
http://www.codeplex.com/NSBManagement/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=33302

Thanks a lot

Yours sincerely
Miroslav Galajda